Friday, July 2, 2010

Thanksgiving in July!

The coming weekend means different things to different people. There is both historical and personal significance. For me it means humidity and an aversion to which I am slowly... well, I'm working on it. But more importantly, the holiday also brings another round of welcome house guests and a bit of emotional alchemy. 4th of July, I dub thee (another) Thanksgiving, after the mother of all get-togethers. It's a moniker I bestow upon every holiday that I'm... well, working on.
What I'm working on is leaving the past in the past, from the winter storms that have created Christmas travel delays to a certain paramour-free Valentine's Day when my aunt and uncle insisted I join them. By reminding myself that each and every meeting of family, friends, and friends-who-are-family is a cause for celebration--especially one that might involve a day or two off from work--gratitude fills me. And ultimately, such holiday gatherings are relatively few in number and by virtue of their rarity they're special. And your loved ones are special, too. So enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving (in July)!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone