Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Sunniest Side of the Street

Reeling from the news that my great-uncle passed away this weekend, attending to my little tome initially felt out of reach. When today's virtual slide show commenced and my family's summer trips to balmy Kentucky came back to life, I was sure that the day would be one of fond recollection. And there was a clearness after each memory of the time spent with him; running from his playfully pushy goats is a personal favorite.
Feeling not yet ready for grief, the numbness seemed inhibitive to the writing process but actually turned out to be a precursor to it. As I pored through my journal, I found an entry that recounted my last tangle with my uncle's ornery pets. It also detailed how positively gone I was over what I considered to be quite the catch then: an alluringly vapid young man who was wont to begin (or end) all his sentences with references to the rapper Ice Cube.
Needless to say, humor ignited my inner printing press and I'm off to add to my book once I finish here. What did I (re)learn? Keeping some record of quality time is of paramount importance and the street that is under construction won't be indefinitely... depending on your municipality. And I could benefit from rolling with change, knowing that the thoroughfare on which I find myself is no dead end. At the risk of presumptuousness, the same is true for the trail you trod.
Uncle Thomas, you will be missed.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone