Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What's Lush in Your Life?

Okay, don't tell me. One of my reminders arrived courtesy of a vivid dream in which I was attending a raucous party at last week's US Social Forum. I loved the music but the volume obscured the conversation I was trying to have with a new friend and the tempest of my irritation instantly engulfed everything, flipping my surroundings like contact cards in an old Rolodex while I remained stationary. When the dust settled, I found myself in a quieter, still populous setting with similarly soft lighting, finally able to hear all about Seattle's latest environmental initiatives.
I awoke with a clear sense that I had thoroughly enjoyed that situation and was just about to switch to another as one might do with a remote control. I consulted a few dream interpretation references and my virtual party-hopping fell under Order, warning me of the potential pitfalls of imposing it with rigidity. Taking the admonition to heart--I can go a bit overboard with everything from my yoga regimen to my daily objectives--I also noted the silver lining. While I'm no efficiency guru by any estimation, I have a slight knack for organization. I'm currently writing a book and the process would never have taken flight without a clear visual framework for each vignette and chapter.
By the way, I count the rollicking dream as a gift but I also have Apple to thank. The new iOS4 operating system offers a function that allows the grouping of iPhone apps into folders. To say that I've taken to the new option would be a vast understatement and the Great Rearrangement went on until I succumbed to sleep; after the sandman my subconscious took over. Dream interpretation is often inexact, tricky business but evidence exists suggesting the influence of the avocation immediately preceding sleep, which certainly proved instructive for me. So if you need some pointers in divining your personal lushness, (just once... or twice) deviate from your pre-bedtime ritual and see what happens.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone